I was emailed this information because we are always looking to keep up on the latest epilepsy news/debates/meds for Cecily. I am just pasting the email as it was sent to me from the Epilepsy Foundation of San Diego. Thank you for reading and if you are so inclined - joining the cause! Onwards and upwards!
Please help to ensure that children with epilepsy have access to emergency seizure rescue medication at school. Our children with epilepsy need access to emergency seizure rescue medications. SB 161 (Huff) will authorize trained non-medical personnel in schools to administer Diastat AcuDial. It is critical to ensure our children have access to an education and access to their emergency medication. We need your voice to be heard now!
With a united voice, we can tell our California legislators to support SB 161! Your immediate response is requested.
View SB 161 Bill Language Here View Analysis of SB 161 Here
There are two ways to take action.
1. Send an email to any or all of the Senators on the Senate Health Committee (listed at the bottom of this email). Please copy me in by adding my email address to the cc portion. (firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line of your email, write "Vote Yes on SB 161!"
In the body of your email, paste the following message or write your own:
" Please support SB 161 - Administration of Diastat® in school settings. Diastat AcuDial is a rectally administered, pre-dosed preparation of diazepam gel. This medication is FDA-approved and was designed to be administered by people without medical training, such as parents, teachers and other caregivers. The lack of clear, uniform legal guidance regarding the administration of Diastat in California's school districts and categorical programs places thousands of students with epilepsy at increased risk of death and severe neurological impairments if they cannot access their Diastat prescription while at school; school districts will be at risk of facing escalating costs associated with lawsuits. SB 161 would correct this lack of legal guidance to school districts and ensures equal access to education and school- related activities, for thousands of students with epilepsy similar to the rights afforded to children with diabetes or severe allergies."
Please be sure to include your name and address in the body of the email.
OR 2. Send an email to show your support to email@example.com
I support SB 161.
First & Last Name
Child's School District (if applicable)
Optional -- Personal story, if desired
Chairs of the Senate Health Commitee:
- Senator Edward Hernandez O.D., Chair ( D- Los Angeles ) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Tony Strickland, Vice-Chair ( R-Thousand Oaks) Email: email@example.com
Other Members of the Senate Health Committee:
- Senator Elaine Alquist ( D-Santa Clara) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Joel Anderson ( R- San Diego) Email: email@example.com
- Senator Sam Blakeslee ( R- San Luis Obispo) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Kevin De Leon ( D- Los Angeles) Email: email@example.com
- Senator Mark Desaulnier( D-Concord) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Michael J. Rubio ( D- Bakersfield**) Email: email@example.com
- Senator Lois Wolk ( D- Davis ) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to join our Awareness and Advocacy Network!
Epilepsy Foundation of San Diego County
Join me on April 17th for Sharon's Ride.Run.Walk for Epilepsy!