1. She is generous with her heart, her talent, her time and her wallet.
2. She is fun and fun to be around!
3. She is a very good friend to everyone - even the barmaids at the pub!
4. She is loyal. She will protect her children and her grandchildren at all costs.
5. She is supportive - even when she thinks you are taking on too much...
6. She is hard-working...and just like my Dad she never sits down!
7. She is smart. She can assemble or make anything - from curtains to chairs, dresses to sofas, bows to ballgowns the list is long and her skills are endless.
8. She is the life of the party. See #2.
9. She is a softie. (ie. She is not as strict as my Dad). She was always there to advocate for a later curfew, a slumber party or sweets and treats.
10. She is passionate about her children and grandchildren.
11. She has a green thumb. A very green thumb.
12. She loves to read.
13. She is honest.
14. She is a good dancer. She's got the moves... See #8.
15. She can't hold a tune. She likes to sing to the grandchildren and it sounds like a wounded animal. She does not care. She just keeps doing it... I love this about her.
17. She loves shoes and purses and all things sparkly. A genetic trait she has passed down to little Cecily.
18. She has been the Team Mom for tennis, basketball, swimming, running and more. She has ran snack bars and bake sales and served as yard duty and more.
19. She had led Brownie Troops and Girl Scout Troops and managed more cookie sales than she likely cares to admit.
20. She worries about everyone and prays for their well being.
21. She does not like to drive but this did not stop her from driving to every one of our games, events, recitals, meets, competitions, dances etc. etc.
22. She is grateful for the gifts she has in her life. Her glass is always half-full.
23. She is strong. She is very, very strong.
24. She is beat breast cancer. She didn't let it stop her or slow her down.
25. She believes in good old-fashioned hard-work. Her work ethic is unquestioned.
26. She talks to strangers...especially if they have babies. She is a baby magnet.
27. She makes my Dad very happy.
28. She makes other Moms pales in comparison.
29. She is a slave to laundry and STILL helps me with mine despite me telling her to stop. She is a natural born helper.
30. She never gives up on people.
31. She is a very big nag. This helps her with #30. She never gives up...
32. She likes her wine. It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
33. She shares everything except Rum Nougat from See's Candies and Digestive biscuits. Don't ask. They are just that good! (kidding!)
34. She gave up smoking for us.
35. She knows how to have a good time.
36. She still likes to play with dolls... She may like this more than baby Cecily.
37. She is very proud of her children. And her grandchildren.
38. She still has an English accent. She is proud to be a subject of the Queen.
39. She is sensitive.
40. She is a good wife. Just ask my Dad.
41. She is patient.
42. She is good with a deck of cards.
43. She is good with money.
44. She makes times for charitable works - lots and lots of time.
45. She likes arts and crafts.
46. She believes in a good bargain. She adores the 99 cent store.
47. She is a beloved Grammy. The children adore her.
48. She has a carefree spirit.
49. She just learned how to text and email. Beware.
50. She has made many sacrifices throughout her life for her family.
51. She knows that she is always right. No matter what. Just ask my Dad.
52. She is optimistic in the face of adversity.
53. She makes the best roast lamp and yorkshire puddings.
54. She makes yummy jam tarts, apple pies and sausage rolls.
55. She loves looking at antiques.
56. She does not like to wear comfortable shoes.
57. She believes a lady should always look her best.
58. She enjoys a good back massage.
59. She never did anything bad as a child. Just ask her. Wait... she only did 3 things... Just ask her what they were...
60. She loves food. She enjoys a good meal with friends and family.
61. She is always cold. How does a British woman living in Southern CA always feel cold?
62. She appreciates well placed sarcasm at her own expense.
63. She never asks for anything. Even if you beg her to tell you what she wants. She says the same thing every year... "When you're older you can buy me something..." Note to self. I'm old.
64. She is silly. She is very, very silly. She can laugh at herself.
65. She can knit anything. She can embroider anything. She can make Halloween costumes from scratch and clothes for any occasion.
66. She likes to be needed. And she is very, very needed!
67. She could be traveling the world but she's not. She's here helping us raise our children.
68. She has a beautiful smile. She poses for pictures better than anyone I know.
69. She has played a lot of roles in her young life - but none better than the role of Mom.
70. She thinks her grandchildren are better than yours. I'm just saying...
On your 70th birthday I want you to know that I love you more than you'll ever know. I am so grateful to have a parental unit that has devoted themselves to life, love and raising children and grandchildren. We would be lost without you. The sacrifices you have made so we can have everything and more are astounding. I only hope that when I'm 70 that my kids have the same admiration for me as we do for you. You are a blessing to me and everyone who meets you. We are spoiled rotten. We would never have survived these last few years without your endless support. I wish everyone could have a Mom (and of course my equally fabulous Dad) - like you.
Happy Birthday Mommy! (and yes, I still call her that)
Onwards & Upwards!